Our trip to Venice March 2009

Our trip to Venice March 2009

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I miss you Grandma Clem!!!

So since I can't seem to find a job, and am bored a lot during the day. I decided to try my hands at becoming Miss Domestic. I cleaned the apartment (which I do everyday) but I also spent hours making dinner and dessert. I never make a dessert with dinner. I found out that being domestic is the hardest job out there. I now know why women used to not work.

I had to make 3 trips to the food lion because I kept forgetting ingredients. The second trip I came home and found out my ricotta cheese was spoiled (It wasn't a pretty sight.) Finally in the third trip, I had everything I needed. I started with dinner which was a baked ziti. Dinner was a success. Desert though was my Grandma Clem's peach pie. The dough was the hardest part to make. It doesn't taste exactly like hers yet but I'll work on it. Also I used store bought filling, eventually I want to make my own filling. Dennis really loved the pie, he had 2 pieces so I know he wasn't just saying it. I on the other hand know it's just not the same. It was still a good pie...just not hers.

When my Grandma passed away I used to tell myself that I didn't spend enough time asking her questions, or cooking with her. Honestly I could have cared less about cooking, now that I'm married it's a passion of mine. My favorite part of the day is dinner, because I get to see Den's reaction to my meals. He loves my cooking, I guess I can say he's my biggest fan. :)

I have forgiven myself for not visiting my Grandma that much, It was a huge weight on me after she died. The most amazing thing happened to me after I forgave myself. I went to her tombstone and talked to her and explained to her how if she was still around I would have talked to her more about food and get the recipe for her pie that we miss so much. At Christmas 2009 Peggy just happened to look into her recipe box and inside was the recipe for pie crust, on the recipe it said that it was for me in memory of Grandma Clem. I still get goosebumps from it. It was like she was there listening to me. Of course I cried my eyes out at Christmas, and now I'm so happy to have that recipe.

I miss you Grandma and thanks for the recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment